Yosemite Medical Clinic Hours of Operation Changing
Yosemite Medical Clinic's extended hours put in place for peak season will end this Friday, September 15.
- The Clinic will be open 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM through Friday, September 15, and be closed this weekend (Saturday, September 16 and Sunday, September 17).
- Starting Monday, September 18, the Clinic's operating hours will be Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (closed weekends and federal holidays).
Ambulance response will remain available year-round, 24 hours per day every day, and can be accessed by calling 911.
For more information or to schedule a Clinic appointment, please call 372-4637. (C. Griffin)
Detail/Temporary Promotion: Sign Painter Supervisor, WS-4104-09
This is a temporary developmental assignment NTE 120 days.
Opening Date: 09/11/2017 Closing Date: 09/15/2017
Yosemite Forum Monday, September 18 (Note Special Date)
"A snow hydrologist's apology: Demystifying Sierra snow and ice with the NASA Airborne Snow Observatory" by Dr. Thomas Painter, NASA
The NASA Airborne Snow Observatory (ASO) has revolutionized how we characterize Sierra Nevada snowpack and mountain glaciers, in a way sadly laying waste to our mythical understandings of this most critical resource and landscape. Prior to the ASO, we largely understood snowpack and glacier dynamics from what we could see or measure on skis or foot, with the federal sampler, a depth probe, a GPS unit, a tape measure, wood stakes, a stone, horse-hair, and a load of Scottish chutzpah. Now, putting assumptions behind us that have led to unverifiable myths, the ASO allows us to finally quantify Yosemite’s snow water equivalent, snow reflectivity, snow grain size, dust and black carbon enhancement of sunlight absorption, glacier volume changes, snow algae concentrations, periglacial forms, ecosystem function, and controls on snow versus glacier melt contributions to runoff. My sincerest apologies … look away if you want to keep the mystery!
The Forum will take place Monday, September 18, from 3:30 to 4:30 pm in the Yosemite Valley Auditorium. Please contact Greg Stock at 379-1420 for additional information. (G. Stock)
Power Outage September 18-22
PG&E is scheduling a power outage beginning Monday September 18 through Friday, September 22nd. (Possibly adding dates 9/17 and 9/23)
Arch Rock and El Portal will not be affected by this outage.
Glacier Point, Wawona Tunnel and Yosemite Valley will be provided with electrical generation during this time, but expect to have some delays, power bumps and/or minimal outages.
Big Oak Flat Tunnels will not have back up generation during this outage.
NPS High Voltage is working directly with PG&E to minimize impacts to Yosemite. (K. Bablitch)
A 2 bedroom/1 bath house is available for the next six months adjacent to Lushmeadows off of Triangle Road in Mariposa. The house is fully furnished, or you can bring your own stuff. Has full kitchen, washer/dryer, pond, views, outdoor shower, garden space, etc. Asking $1,200 per month, with deposit. For more information call 209-742-6320. (J. McCamman)
Fire Suppression System Inspection September 11-19
Attention Yosemite Employees and Residents,
The annual fire suppression system inspection and test will be taking place September 9th-20th.
Contractors, escorted by NPS staff, will be entering all buildings and homes. Please see the schedule below for more information.
Monday September 11th
- Team #2 EPQ0703, EPQ0704, EPQ0705, EPQ0711, EPQ0711, EPQ0713, EPQ0714, EPQ0715, EPQ0716, EPQ0717 (day care- time to set by day care rep), EPQ0719, EPQ0720, EPQ0721, EPQ0724, EPQ0726, EPQ0727, EPQ0728, EPQ0730, EPQ0731, EPQ0732, EPQ0733, EPQ0734, EPQ0737, EPQ0738
(Residences). escort required.
EPQ0722, EPQ0747, EPQ0748, EPQ0749 (Carports) Sprinkler dry systems, no escort required.
Tuesday September 12th
- Team #1 EPQ0740, EPQ0741 EPQ0742 EPQ0743 EPQ0744 EPQ0745 EPQ0746 (Apartments) escort required
EPB0757 (covered storage), EPB0794 (covered storage small) EPB0757A (Artifact storage), EPB0755 (Road Shops), EPB0797 (New RMS), and any remaining work at EPB0759 (admin warehouse) escort for access to locked doors
- Team #2 EPQ0850, EPQ0851, EPQ0856, EPQ0857, EPQ0858, EPQ0859, EPQ0860, EPQ0860, EPQ0861, EPQ0862, EPQ0863, EPQ0864 EPQ0865, EPQ0866, EPQ0867, EPQ0871, EPQ0872, EPQ0873, EPQ0875 (residences) escort required
EPQ0765, EPQ0766, EPQ0767, EPQ0768, EPQ0769, EPQ0770, EPQ0770, EPQ0771M EPQ0773, EPQ0774, EPQ0775, EPQ0776 (Motor Inn Cabins) escort required.
Wednesday September 13th
- Team #1 VaB0756 (Valley District Museum), VaB0598 (Visitor Center) VaB0575 (Valley Administration) VaB0070 (Valley Day Care)Escort Required
- Team #2 Assist with VaB0756 (Valley Museum), VaQ0039, VaQ0040, VaQ003, VaQ0010, VaQ0012, VaQ0013, VaQ0037, VaQ0042, VaQ0046, VaQ0049, (residences) VaB0580 (Valley Chapel), VaB0514 (Valley Barn) escort Required
Thursday September 14th
- Team #1 VaQ0056 (Rangers Club), VaB0527 (Jail) VaQ0064, (Nurses Dorm), Va0056 (Rangers Club), VaQ0061, VaQ0062 (Residences), VaB0528 (courthouse), VaB538 (Valley Substation), VaB0607 (Medical/Dental Clinic), VaB0628 a(HI Nature Center) escort required
- Team #2 WaQ4047, WaQ4079,WaQ4149, WaQ4154, WaQ4155, WaQ4162,WaQ4178, WaQ4185, WaQ4186, WaQ4190, WaQ4192, WaQ4195, WaQ5000, WaQ4095. (residences) escort required.
Friday September 15th
- Team #1 WaB4613,WaB4611, WaB4612, (Kiosks) WaB4604 (South Entrance Office) WaB4414 (Hill Studio), WaB4100, WaB4101, WaB4102, WaB4103, WaB4104, WaB4105, WaB4106, WaB4110, WaB4112, WaB4114, WaB4134, WaB4136 (PYHC), WaBWawona Fire Station, Wawona Tunnel
WaB covered Bridge
- Team #2 Return to any Locations that has not been completed/assist Team #1
Monday September 18th
- Team #1 MaQ2000 (Rangers Station) MaQ6000, MaQ6115 MaQ6116, MaQ6117 MaQ6118, MaQ6160 (Residences)
Tuesday September 19th
- Team #1 Any areas in the Park that need to be revisited to complete. (S. Kincaid)
CONSTRUCTION & TRAFFIC DELAYS
Glacier Point Road Closure - Empire Fire
The Glacier Point Road will remain closed to the public this week as fire crews conduct backfiring operations along the roadway between Ostrander Lake and Mono Meadow Trailheads. Depending on how these operations go, crews will re-assess conditions on Friday and make further determinations on the road closure at that time. The road is still open to Admin Traffic Only. (E. Scott)
Tenaya Road Closure September 13-23
Tenaya road will be closed between the Valley Fort and the Courthouse from 9/13/17 through 9/23/17. This is for generator staging for the upcoming valley power outage in Yosemite Valley. Courthouse access will not be affected. (J. Brown)
Yosemite Valley Parking and Road Construction Update
A new phase of parking and road construction in Yosemite Valley will be starting on Monday, September 18th. The biggest project will be reconstruction of the Camp 4 parking area. The parking area will close on Monday, September 18th and campers will park across the street at the Yosemite Falls parking area. Northside Drive between the Yosemite Falls crossing and Camp 4 will narrow to one westbound lane. Eastbound traffic will travel through Yosemite Lodge. The contractors hope to complete this work by Thanksgiving if the weather is good. If not, the parking area and roads will be open for the holidays.
In addition, new construction will begin on Tuesday, September 19th at the four-way intersection at Half Dome Village near Stoneman Bridge. Flaggers will route traffic headed to Half Dome Village in a one-way clockwise loop going eastbound on the Happy Isle Loop Rd then coming back northbound on Curry Village Dr. This work should take about two weeks.
Work on Northside Drive east of Pohono Bridge is almost complete. Contractors will work on utility vaults in Northside Drive for one week starting Monday, September 18th. This work will take place during the day with one lane open. There will be maximum 30-minute delays.
Lastly, night work will continue at “the Narrows” through September (same schedule as earlier in the month) and work on the pedestrian pathway from the Yosemite Village parking area to Yosemite Village will continue through Monday, September 18th. Thank you for your patience. (L. Acree)